THE OFFICIAL BLOG
Fourteen days ago, on July 16th we began construction of our new chicken grow-out pen using a framing kit we bought online at EZ Frame Structures. First, anyone with critical thinking skills should be skeptical of products with 'EASY' in the name... and downright dismissive of products which abbreviate it to 'EZ'. It was not easy (or EZ) at all. But more on that later.
Right now I would like to revel in the fact that we are finally done! Or.. done enough. There are a few details we still have to work out... But.. done enough to move the monster chicks out of the brooder and into their new and spacious outdoor enclosure.
Why we took our time.
This project took more time and more materials than most of those we have taken on in the past, but there were a couple of factors which made this so. First, the memory of losing goslings in a less fortified grow-out pen was fresh on our minds. We were wanting this pen to be solid, heavy, and safe. Also, we are moving past the stage of homesteading where we are content throwing up temporary structures that are heavy on utility but light on aesthetics. It has taken years to figure out what we need as well as what we want. It's an ongoing learning process.. and it's very hands on. No matter how many pins I saved on Pinterest - they never really helped us figure out what would work for us.
The New Grow-Out Pen - Part 3
A short update.
Earlier this week Dave put in a full day's work in Tulsa and then came home to get the roof put on the coop side of the grow-out pen. Then there were two after-work trips to buy materials. And Yvonne and I (with the assistance of Emily who continuously provides us with water so that we will not die of dehydration) have gotten a lot done today.
We are hopeful that we can have this thing chicken-ready by the end of the weekend. And just in time - my brooder chicks are out of head-room.
In the past when I have shared pictures of birds still inside our brooder boxes, I have gotten comments asking how I keep the brooder so clean. The short answer is: hard work and determination. However, there are a few things that make that hard work more effective in the long run which I will be sharing here today. Read on to learn more about the cleaning method that has made all the difference for us.